A waterproof cycling jacket should be breathable and lightweight. When on your riding adventures, you need a jacket that you can be worn comfortably without feeling the extra weight.
The jacket should also be breathable, and it should not feel like you are wearing cheap plastic.
With a waterproof cycling jacket, you can enjoy riding during rainy days with the protective wear.
Before you think about buying a cycling jacket, here are some features that you should keep in mind:
It is essential to consider the material that is used in making the jacket. The material should be waterproof so that water does not penetrate into the cycling jacket.
Today we have polyester jackets just like the ordinary jackets, but they have a waterproof membrane on the exterior. On the other hand, we have the traditional rain jackets that have a plastic look. It all comes done to the look and type of material that you want.
Allow air inside
A good cycling jacket should allow air inside. If you are looking for a breathable jacket, it should allow air inside so that you do not keep sweating.
When checking if the jacket is breathable, make sure that it has an inner porous layer. The porous inner layer of the jacket should allow the skin to release sweat, but at the same time, it should not allow water inside the body.
Type of fitting
When buying a cycling jacket, it is essential to consider the fitting that you want.
You can buy a tight fitting jacket in case you do not need to wear other clothes beneath the coat.
On the other hand, if you want a jacket to wear on top of your cycling gear, consider buying one that has some allowance, and it is not tight fitting.
There are some additional features that you need to check when buying a cycling bike.
For instance, when riding in busy cities, the bike should have a bright reflective color to promote visibility on the road. You can also buy a jacket with cuffs to maintain comfort when riding.
Top 5 lightweight waterproof breathable cycling jackets:
This jacket is available in red, grey, black, blue and neon. It is specially made for men, but women can still wear it.
The Gore Phantom jacket is not just waterproof. It is also a wind stopper, and it will protect you from excessive wind when cycling.
- Zippers – full-length zip and zipper on the sleeves near the shoulder
- Material – polyester material and polyamide. The exterior stretch material is made using elastane.
- Pockets – pocket with zipper near the chest and three back pockets.
- Removable sleeves to wear it in different ways
- Reflective exterior no matter the color.
At first glance, the jacket has the look of a raincoat. It has that smooth and shiny exterior that you would expect from the traditional jacket. The coat is light blue.
- Weight – extremely lightweight 50 grams
- Fabric – DWR Superleggera material. It also has a mesh inside
- Design – form fit design available in small and large
- Zipper – full zipper
This soft shell jacket is available in black, green, orange and green. It is both windproof and waterproof.
You can also wear it in cold months to keep yourself warm. This is a good option when looking for a lightweight jacket that has the look of a jersey.
- Design – jersey design available in a variety of colors
- Material – reflective and stretchable material
- Zippers – full zipper with zipper pockets around the chest
- The reflective feature’s in a variety of colors
This is a woman’s cycling jacket, and it comes in three colors. You can get in black if you want a neutral color or you can get it in pink or ultramarine color if you want something feminine looking. It is lightweight and can be easily packed when going on a trip.
- Material – soft exterior and smooth interior of the jacket
Design – athletic design, clean cut and fitting jacket with a jersey design
- Zips and cuffs – the jacket comes with full zip. It also comes with cuffs around the arms, neck and also waist.
- Extra features – concealed pockets, mesh ventilation and reflective features
This jacket is specifically made for women, and it is available in a variety of colors. The main aim of this jacket is to protect you from rainwater. However, this jacket will also protect you from UV rays and also strong winds. If you are looking for a jacket that is easy to carry, this is a good choice.
- Material – the material of this jacket is 100%. The material also has a waterproof technology.
- Windproof features – the material comes with windproof features like velcro cuffs and elastic clasp.
- Design – hooded design with two layers of fabric
- Extras – 4 pockets with interior pocket and full-length zipper
A Few Final Words
Weather should not be a limitation when cycling. Even when the weather is harsh, a good cycling jacket will make the experience enjoyable. In case you want to ride your bike even on days when it is drizzling, a good jacket will help you. When looking for a good cycling jacket, you need to make sure that it is waterproof.
It should protect you from, and it should also keep you comfortable. A jacket with a mesh inside will allow air inside because it is breathable. Always look for a jacket that is lightweight so that you can carry it easily.