Even though there is no difference between the shape of the head of both men and women, the average size of skull diameter is quite different for both of them.
That’s why some brands have taken the initiative to specifically manufacture road bike helmets for women. But what are some of the top brands with quality helmets that are specifically suitable for women? Let’s find out about that in this review guide.
Best Women’s Road Bike Helmet:
If you are looking for a premium headgear for bike riding, then you will definitely come across a broad range of options. However, some of the top-rated helmets on the market include:
First, on the list we have the Giro Ember, which is integrated with MIPS technology which helps reduce the damage upon impact. It also features aa roll cage reinforcement which is a durable web of reinforcement located in the helmets EPS foam liner for extra durability and protection in case of a crash.
The Giro Ember also features a Roc Loc system for easy adjustability & a customized fit. The helmet also comes in 6 different stylish colors & is ponytail compatible, so you can comfortably wear your ponytail while riding. It also features 24 air vents keeping your head cool and dry at all times. Overall comfortable, durable, & stylish and comes with added protection features such as MIPS.
- MIPS: Integrated MIPS technology for added protection in case of impact.
- Roc Loc system for easy adjustability and a more personalized fit.
- Integrated Roll cage reinforcement in EPS foam liner for added protection.
- Wind Tunnel ventilation system for added breathability.
- Well ventilated
- Integrated MIPS technology
- comes in 6 different colors
As a top brand, Smith Overate ensures that you ride safely across different terrains. The MIPS helmet has been futuristically designed to offer optimal features as well as user comfort.
Designed with MIPS lining and Koroyd layer, this product effectively protects your head and the upper neck region. Smith uses a high-tech Multi-Directional Protection System to offer you comfort as well as convenience. This bike helmet is lightweight with an airy interior to ensure that you ride comfortably.
The inner layers are made with EPS foam as well as Koroyd with a honeycomb design. This helps to facilitate proper ventilation. As a result, your torso will remain cool as you ride your bike with different intensities. With its angled-impact protection, this protective gear can efficiently absorb the impact of a crash.
The helmet’s top is also designed with plastic shell wraps containing the aerodynamic shape to reduce the impact of straightforward crashes. It should be noted that it comes with a dome-damaging rotational- energy that’s usually generated when a crash is side-angled.
- High level of comfort: Airy and lightweight for extra comfort.
- Effective energy absorption: The thin MIPS lining effectively absorbs the effect of impact in case of a crash
- Versatile ventilation system: High-tech koroyd feature with EPS forms to promote ventilation.
- Plastic shells wrap with aerodynamic shapes to minimize the chances of straightforward impacts
- A lightweight and airy helmet
- Comfortable and perfectly fits different head sizes
- Not effective for use with sunglasses
This is another outstanding women’s road bike helmet. Giro Seyen MIPS uses a leading protection technique to ensure that it can withstand great impact. With the MIPS feature, this cycling gear can easily redirect the energy produced by a crash, thereby minimizing the chances of injury.
Giro perfectly understands the needs of the client base. While the brand has a wide range of helmet styles, this one is designed specifically for women. Perhaps you might ask why? Well, this is because they understand that the average diameter of a woman’s skull is different from that of their male counterparts. So, this series is designed to give women more and better options.
The Seyen MIPS helmet comes with a patented 5-air fit system. This automatically suspends the helmet slightly above the skull, to allow air to move over your head easily. Furthermore, this system enhances overall performance that’s to the efficient internal channels and vents that help remove excess heat from the helmet.
Created with its mold-in construction, this gear can easily absorb massive impact. The construction consists of an interior form liner and an external polycarbonate shell. The combinational effect is less risk of injuries during crashes.
- Tough and comfortable construction: includes an in-mold construction featuring a smooth internal foam liner and a polycarbonate shell to absorb impact.
- Wind-tunnel ventilation system: facilitates the flow of cool air over and around the heat. Besides that, the system forces hot and stale air outside the helmet.
- Roc-loc fit system: fit the helmet and feel the adjustments for a customized fit.
- Integrated MIPS: perfectly meets all the helmet standards, conserves energy, and reduces the effect of rotational forces.
- Uniquely engineered to the needs of women
- Easily adjustable and reduces tension
- It reduces the impact of a crash
- Quite expensive
Next up on the list is the Giro Saga, the detail and color range on these helmets are specifically tailored to female riders. For example, it allows you to comfortably wear your hair in a ponytail without any discomfort or irritation as well as providing you with a wide range of stylish colors.
It also features a Roc Loc system which allows you to adjust the fit tension as well as the fore-aft tilt of the helmet providing you with a more comfortable customized fit. It also features a hardshell with an in-mold hardbody for enhanced protection while keeping the helmet lightweight at the same time. The Giro saga is also designed with 22 air vents to help keep your head cool at all times. Overall a good choice for affordability, comfort & durability.
- Roc-loc fit system: Allows you to easily adjust the fit of the helmet to better suit your head shape.
- Women’s series: The helmet design and construction is tailored to suit female rider’s needs.
- Tough and durable construction: Features an in-mold construction with a smooth internal foam liner as well as a polycarbonate shell in order to effectively absorb impact.
- Well ventilated
- Available in 3 stylish colors
- No MIPS
Although this is not a women’s specific helmet, it’s a great choice for affordability. The Trespass Crankster is a unisex helmet crafted with the EPS interior, this headgear provides wearers with much-needed comfort. Its PVC exterior shell also makes it possible to withstand impact in case of a crash. It offers solid protection with a customizable fit thanks to the highly adjustable straps. Note that there is a visor that can be used to enhance protection. However, you can remove it to suit your personal preferences.
To make it wearable in warm weather, Trespass has several vents that maximize the flow of air in and out of the helmet. It should be noted that there are also air vents that facilitate airflow in hot spots like around the ears and below the neck.
- PVC exterior shell: the solid shell can withstand a high level of comfort.
- EPS foam interior: provides comfort and minimizes the chances of friction.
- Lightweight: it weighs 299g
- Sun visor for extra protection
- Perfect airflow hence it provides a cooling effect
- The adjustable headband that provides a customized fit
- The thin straps may not be very durable
The Mojito by Kask is made with MIT safety technology and reinforced in-mold construction. This high-tech design not only makes it crash proof but also comfortable to wear.
For enhanced user comfort and durability, Kask Mojito has a chinstrap that’s made of eco-leather. Not only is the strap made of a soft pad but it’s washable and anti-allergic. As a result, it’s highly effective in combating skin irritation.
aThe helmet offers a precise and comfortable fit. This is facilitated by the Up & down adjustment system. Using the centrally-placed ratchet wheel, you can loosen or tighten the helmet depending on your needs. The wearable product ensures that you attain your optimal performance by providing a breathable, safe, and reliable internal environment.
- MIT-Safety technology: it features a polycarbonate cell that covers the helmet offering all-round protection.
- Eco-Leather chinstrap: it’s durable, washable, and anti-allergic.
- Premium ventilation: there are 26 well-placed large air vents that provide excellent air ventilation
- In-mold construction: it helps to reduce the severity of impact after a crash.
- Optimal fit: it facilitates by the up and down central adjustment wheel.
- Offers excellent crash protection
- It’s stylish with a durable construction
- The helmet offers an optimal comfort and customized fit
This protective gear by Kask offers all shades of versatility. For any woman who loves riding a bike, this handmade product has been carefully crafted to ensure that you enjoy all your outdoor sessions. Kask Protone helmet has been technically innovated to give it a unique look and optimal performance.
The helmet sets itself apart with a highly effective ventilation system. In addition to that, it has outstanding aerodynamics as well as a heat dissipation system. With its low-drag coefficient function, you can
successfully and easily cruise through due to the low contact surface.
Protone helmet has 3D-Dry padding made with open cell multi-layer construction. Additionally, there is a washable lining that anti-allergic chinstrap to keep the helmet clean and reduce the chances of skin irritation.
This protective gear uses MIT safety technology. Upon collision, the reinforced frame of the device not only offers enhanced strength but also prevents the helmet from breaking down. This is a flexible and top-rated helmet for women that offers a high level of safety as well as comfort.
- Wind tunnel-tested: the helmet has a significantly low-drag coefficient for easier cruising and reduced friction
- Perfect fit: Protone has an octo-fit adjustment system for customized individual fit
- A high level of safety: the helmet has been certified by the CPSC and they surpass all the safety bicycle standards in the US.
- User-Friendly: lightweight with a good ventilation system made of an eco-leather chinstrap and 3D- Dry padding.
- It’s stylish and comfortable to wear
- The helmet provides the best user fit with optimal support
- Provides excellent shock absorption upon impact
- Hand-crafted for comfort and secure fit
- It’s not easy to use with glasses
- The plastic material holding the strips in place are quite thin
Made with ANGi, Propero III allows you to focus on riding while guaranteeing you a greater level of security. The ANGi technology effectively protects your head from crash impact and even alerts and sends your location to your emergency contacts.
The race-inspired gear offers wearers tremendous value in addition to an incredible fit. Besides that, it provides an efficient cooling effect thanks to the 4th-dimension cooling and the tri-fix webbing systems. They normally blend together to give the helmet an amazing overall performance.
This protective device also has reflective decals. They are safety enhancers that make the bike rider visible in low-light conditions. Apart from the MIPS technology the can efficiently redirect the energy of a crash, the helmet has a “Hair Pot “where women can put their ponytails.
This helmet is designed to offer a personalized fit. So, for customization, there are straps that provide easier adjustments. It should be noted that this is one of the few helmets that come with the clip-on visor.
- User safety: ANGi integration with a crash sensor
- High level of comfort: it consists of a megamouth port and a 4th-dimension cooling system
- Water-resistant: the helmet has a soft and tough 4X-dry lite webbing material that’s resistant to water and sweat.
- Enhanced cooling: it’s reinforced internally with a composite matrix
- Provides improved comfort and a customized fit
- The internal is resistant to sweat
- Equipped with MIPS
- Has a sensor to alert your emergency contacts of a crash or accident
- The ANGi may get ineffective easily
The Best Women’s Road Bike Helmet: Buyer’s Guide
What do you need to consider before buying a helmet?
All helmets have to meet certain requirements. For instance, a high-quality helmet has to meet the standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). This means that it’s safe and can guarantee you protection.
Besides that, ensure that it has been tested. There are foundations such as SNELL Foundation that tests helmets and ensure that they meet functionalities set by the manufacturer.
Note: passing these standards is vital in ensuring that aspects such as retention qualities, shock absorption, quality of strap, and field of vision are met. Understand that it’s also important to replace your helmet after every couple of years to attain optimal safety.
MIPS Technology Protection
MIPS refers to the Multi-Directional Impact Protection System. The technology has been proven to be effective in reducing the effect of rotational motion. It normally redirects and absorbs rotational energy. When it comes to choosing a quality helmet, MIPS in addition to a soft internal layer helps to reduce rotational impact and protect the brain.
Regardless of where and when you will be riding your bike, ventilation is one of the most important factors
to consider. A well-ventilated helmet will make your riding sessions wholesome. This means that your head will feel comfortable during hot days or intense rides and you will end up less sweaty.
In terms of ventilation, make sure that you check the placement and size of the holes. The better the distribution of the holes and the larger they are, the better the ventilation will be. Note that the best helmets in the market also have additional airflow channels to facilitate the cooling effect.
The fact that you will be wearing a headgear means that you have to consider the weight. You don’t need a helmet that will feel as if you are carrying luggage on your head. The lighter the helmet the better it is at offering comfort.
A helmet that fits perfectly will definitely offer you comfort. To find the right size, you need to know the circumference of your head. Thereafter, compare the measurement with the size chart of a specific headgear. Even so, you still need a headgear that’s highly adjustable. This is because as a woman, your hairstyle can change from time to time. A flexible helmet should have customizable straps or the roc-loc fit system. This means that you can loosen or tighten the helmet as you wish.
The outer shell of the helmet is usually tough or coarse. In case your head comes into contact with it, you might end up feeling uncomfortable. To counter this, the best helmets in the market come with soft padding that snuggly fits around the head.
The interior should be furnished with durable and comfortable material of a certain thickness. This helps to ensure that you enjoy your bike riding sessions. Additionally, the padding should be waterproof. This is vital in wicking the sweat away from your head and ensuring that you stay fresh throughout.
The Bottom Line
There are so many brands that make helmets for women. Finding a quality headgear is, therefore, not so easy. But regardless of the high competition, the above-mentioned brands have managed to stand out. The helmets have quality designs and flexible enough to provide women with the best fit. Once you know what to consider when buying a helmet, you can easily find a headgear that fits your needs.