Nowadays there are so many different types of bikes in the market and it can be quite confusing for a beginner to decide which bike to get. So to simplify your choices we compiled a list of the top road, hybrid, cruiser, & mountain bikes for beginners.
Although before you decide on what type of bike to buy you should first consider what type of riding you will be doing. To help you narrow down your choices here’s a quick list of types of bikes, their key features, and recommended use cases.
Types Of Bikes: Pick the Best Bike for You
|Bike Type||Features & Use Case|
|Road Bikes||Road bikes are designed with speed in mind. they’re lightweight, have an aerodynamic geometry, and are used in paved roads & bike paths.|
|Mountain Bikes||Tough & Durable, designed for off-road use, but can also be used on paved roads.|
|Hybrid Bikes||A combination of road & mountain bikes.|
|Cruiser Bikes||A casual bike, which is ideal for city riding, & riding on the beach.|
Best women’s Beginner Bikes
Our top picks of beginner-friendly bikes for women include:
The Libero road bike for women has been made to offer comfort and long-lasting use. Its rims are made with the silver Vitesse alloy consisting of 700 C 32- hole. This unique feature makes it a durable bike that provides maximum comfort. So, you can easily use it on rough trails without experiencing so much pressure.
The 16-speed bike is integrated with brake levers. So, it provides perfect control. This is a superior road bike that has specific features suitable for the feminine body. It is available in multiple sizes, therefore, it can be used by both tall and short women. Overall, it provides value for money thanks to its premium features.
- Vitesse alloy rims: they come with 32 spokes for maximum user comfort and pedaling
- Lightweight and durable: the frame is made from aluminum for maximum user stability as well as power
- 16-speed option: it allows the bike to easily navigate on different types of surfaces
- The bike is simple to use, lightweight and comes with an adjustable saddle.
- Its tires offer maximum speed and solid grip on different road surfaces
- You can easily change the speeds depending on your needs
- The saddle may need a bit of an improvement
The Diamondback Lux 2 is a hardtail mountain bike designed specifically for women. The frame’s geometry features a shorter reach for an overall more comfortable fit for female riders. It features 27.5-inch wheels allowing you to effectively roll over obstacles, as well as an SR Suntour XCM-HLO 100mm travel suspension fork in order to easily absorb bumps. Equipped with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes for enhanced control. Overall a good choice if you’re looking for an entry-level mountain bike with quality features and an affordable price range.
- Women’s Specific Double Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum Frame (women-specific fit provides stand-over clearance)
- 18 gears in order to handle a wide range of terrain
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes for effective stopping power
- Good value for the price
- Women’s specific option offers a more comfortable ride
- Lightweight (28 lbs)
Next up is the Sixthreezero ride in the park cruiser bike, its low-swooping feature as well as lightweight design simply makes it ideal for a beginner. The 3-speed bike can be used for both leisure activities as well as running errands. This is because the bike comes with a strong rear back where you can optionally put a basket.
Sixthreezero bike is a city cruiser that can move at several speeds. This is facilitated by the 3-gears that are easy to switch and shift from the handlebar. The three gear options feature:
- 21-speed: it’s suitable when you are riding long-distance, uphill, on a trail, or demanding street.
- 7-speed: it’s appropriate for long-distance rides as well as leisure sessions.
- 3-speed: suitable for small hills and long-distance.
It’s designed with both rear and front handbrakes that are available for all gearing options. As a result, you can almost instantly stop it. With a 700c wheel design in addition to double-walled rims, this bike provides smooth and comfortable rides.
- 3 gearing options: it makes it suitable for handling different types of terrains
- Lightweight and durable construction: the frame is made with the durable aluminum material.
- Upright design: it provides comfort, especially during long rides. Note that you can always customize the height of the bike and tilt the handlebar.
- 700-32C double-walled rims: they provide comfort and make bumpy rides smoother
- It’s a comfortable and easy to use a bike that’s suitable for beginner women riders
- Unique design and lightweight frame for comfort and better riding speeds
- Suitable for use on major roads, busy stress, and trails among others.
- The assembling instructions may be confusing
Pomona dual-suspension has been specifically built for comfort. It allows you to ride it for long periods without necessarily getting tired. So, if you are just practicing how to ride a bike, it can be a good entry-level bike. Its design means that you can stay in an upright position. This means that you won’t feel the heavy strain of controlling the bike on your shoulders and back.
Its comfort level is enhanced with the flexible suspension frame. This means that you can easily move in rough terrains without feeling the impact of bumps. In addition to that, its tires also help to optimize comfort, therefore, giving beginners the ease they need when riding the bike.
- Full-suspension frame: it makes it possible to ride the bike on different terrains including paved and unpaved roads.
- 26-inch double-wall alloy rims: they provide a wide surface area for forward rolling of the tires and add comfort.
- Padded saddle: it provides maximum comfort
- Aluminum frame: it provides durability and makes the bike lightweight
- It’s a reliable bike that allows you to enjoy long riding sessions comfortably.
- You can use it on several both paved and unpaved surfaces
- It comes with a quick-release saddle for easier adjustment
- It can be difficult to put it together
The Urban Lady is ideal for numerous environments. Not only is it beach-friendly but you can also ride it in town or within your local streets/paved path. The single-speed bike is great for any lady who is at the entry- level of bike riding. There are no strings or complicated gears and, therefore, you can enjoy an uncomplicated cruising at speeds ranging between 3 MPH and 15 MPH.
While it may seem to have a traditional design, this Urban Beach bike has some elements of modernity. The manufacturer has it in 13 colors to suit different customer preferences. It’s worth noting that it has wide tires for easier pedaling and a comfortable seat cushioned with double-coil springs. This makes it possible to easily and smoothly navigate rough trails. With the 2.1-inch rubber tires, this bike can effectively absorb any type of energy generated by bumps.
The two-wheeler comes with rear coaster brakes for better control. So, you can quickly stop or slow down your ride whenever you want. Overall, Urban Beach Cruiser allows you to enjoy a smooth, comfortable ride wherever you want.
- Over-sized seat made with dual springs: provides the much-needed user comfort
- Aluminum wheels and steel frame: the 15-inch steel frame as well as the strong aluminum wheels provide lasting durability.
- Curvy, single-speed bike: it ensures that the user enjoys an easier and relaxed riding session
- Wide handlebars: they are made with foam grips for better control and forward navigation
- A stylish bike that’s easy to ride
- It’s made with long-lasting materials
- Has a curvy design for enhanced user comfort
- It may take quite some time to assemble it
This beginner-friendly two-wheeler makes a perfect commute bicycle for those women who are just beginning to ride. It’s quicker and effective to use on the road. Additionally, it’s lightweight and you can even carry it upstairs.
With its 700C wheels, the bike has bigger wheels that make it move faster forwards. The 26-inch wheel effectively handles momentum, letting you cruise easily. It should be noted that the equal wheels allow riders to easily navigate through uneven surfaces without too much pedal pressure.
This is a versatile hybrid bike. You can call it a beach cruiser, commuter bike, or even an urban bike. This is because you can use it anywhere without any technical problems. Its design and simplicity mean that you
can always take it with you wherever you want to go.
For durability and comfort, the pedal cycle is made up of stainless steel rivets. Its reverted design has been smoothly contoured to support your back as well as your knees. Therefore, you can casually pedal it in a comfortable riding position.
- Vinyl cover in addition to stainless steel rivets: they provide user comfort and durability
- Six-speed tourney: provide speed reliability when you need it
- Lightweight and classic bike: the frame is made of aluminum alloy for convenience
- 26-inch/700C Wheels: they provide greater momentum and easier rollover against smooth and uneven surfaces.
- It’s delivered when it’s almost 80% assembled. So, you don’t need to spend much time trying to join the components together.
- It comes with extra accessories such as a basket, fenders, a bell, and a rear rack.
- It doesn’t easily stain or rust
- You may need to tune it professionally and constantly for optimal use
- It doesn’t climb steep slopes easily
What makes this Vilano bike stand out is its simplicity. The commuter single-speed bike has an extremely simple design, making it one of the best women’s beginner bikes. It has a single gear making and, therefore, you don’t need to undergo the complex gear shifting process.
The 700C bike has a simple yet classic styling. This makes it perfect for riding in urban areas. Additionally, it has mustache handles for a firm and comfortable grip as well as the riding position. This bike makes braking easier thanks to the well- placed coaster brake.
- One-speed: makes it possible to enjoy your rides without the need to change gears.
- Mustache handlebars: they provide comfortable grips and riding position.
- Steel frame: for durability and lasting rides
- The bike perfectly caters to the needs of women
- Its handlebars are completely flexible
- Classic, simple, and durable bicycle
- It comes with kickstand and platform pedals
- The bike doesn’t come with reflectors
Women’s Beginner Bikes: Buying Guide
If you are looking forward to buying a new bike, here are a few important things to consider:
This simply implies the angle as well as the length of various parts of the frame. Bike companies usually use different types of geometry that affect the overall design of the frame. There are three frame types to consider:
- The traditional frame: the top part of the frame is horizontal. It’s usually parallel to the ground. This is the most common type of frame geometry as it offers solid stability and better comfort.
- The compact frame: it’s a bit sloppy and tilts at an angle. They normally have longer head tubes hence they provide the bike with ad additional height. It’s suitable for those who want responsive rides.
- Semi-compact: this frame design is the intermediate of compact and traditional frames. It has a slight slope to slightly reduce the center of gravity. It also provides more responsive rides.
Bikes come in several sizes designed to meet different height requirements. If you are looking for an entry- level bike, then you will find that most bikes are usually labeled in inches to complement different heights. So, make sure that you consider this.
If it’s possible, use the online bike demo to check how it will feel to ride the bike. The best thing about most brands is that they have online size guides to help customers find the best fit depending on height or the inner length of the leg.
The type of material used determines if the bike can withstand a strong impact. Besides that, it also determines if the bike will be heavy or lightweight. There are many materials used to make bike frames and they include steel, aluminum, titanium, chromyl, and carbon fiber among others. For a beginner, we recommended two lightweight and durable frame materials:
- Carbon fiber: this type of bike frame is usually made with thin carbon filaments that are bound together. They come in different variations and this explains why the same bike made with carbon fiber may have different price ranges. However, carbon fiber is generally known to be durable and lightweight. Additionally, it provides flexibility for style design. This is because it’s very easy to mold it into various shapes.
- Aluminum: it’s the most commonly used material for bike frames. It’s stiff, strong, and lightweight. So, it provides the perfect balance of being light and offering solid strength. Note that aluminum frames are usually stiffer compared to most steel frames. This is because they can effectively sue diameter tubes that are larger. Well, this is one of the main reasons where there are so many frames that are made of “fat” tubes.
Type of Handlebars
Handlebars affect comfort. The more you need to bend to use the handlebar, the more you exert pressure on your hands and shoulders. So, it’s crucial to determine the shape as well as the size of the handlebar. A good handlebar should be able to match your shoulder’s width. Besides that, it should provide easier brake access. This means that when you want to stop or slow down, you need to just bend slightly.
Just like frames, the most common handlebar materials are carbon fiber and aluminum. Besides that, there are two common types:
- The drop-bar: it’s a flexible handlebar design that’s suitable for those bike riders who are concerned about the efficiency of speed. This type of handlebar is very flexible as it provides multiple hand positions.
- Flat-bar: it has some performance aspects of drop-bar handlebars. However, it’s more upright hence it offers better user comfort and relaxation. However, there is only one hand position and this makes it less efficient.
Tires and Wheels
Tires greatly influence bike riding characteristics. 700c tires are the most common. This is because they tend to make rough rides smoother and stable. When choosing a tire, analyze the treading system. The more the treads, the better the grip. However, this means that the tire will have a stronger rolling resistance that will significantly reduce the bike’s speed. In case most of your riding sessions will be on pavements, then consider a tread pattern that’s smooth.
Wheels are usually in contact with the riding surface. Therefore, they play a crucial role in determining your riding experience. Ensure that the bike’s wheels have a low weight. This way, you will be able to easily handle the bike, accelerate, and climb steep slopes.
Consider rims that are made of aluminum since steel is quite heavy. If you have more money, then you can
go for carbon fiber rims. They are lightweight and effectively enhance the bike’s braking power in slippery or wet surfaces.
To most people, the number of spokes on the wheel is usually not a thought, especially for new riders. However, spokes also matter since they help to determine the effectiveness of the rim. This happens because they help facilitate the transmission of leg power to the wheel from the hub. Most high-performance bikes usually have fewer spokes on the front and higher spokes on the rear wheel. Generally, the front and back wheels should never have an equal number of spokes.
Note: there are so many other things that you need to consider when buying an entry-level bike. For instance, take a look at the group-set that consists of the braking and gearing systems. These two areas have a great influence on the effectiveness of the bike. So, it’s important to consider how they function.
As a new rider, you definitely need an effective, durable, and lightweight bike. The above-reviewed bikes are definitely among the best for women who are just starting out to ride bikes. They offer comfort, flexibility on different terrains, as well as long-lasting use. Overall, they provide value for money.