There has been a point in time where toe clips were the only option for improving pedal efficiency. Now times have changed and clipless pedals have taken over as the king of pedals, although this doesn’t mean that there isn’t a place for toe clips. Toe clips are still preferred by commuters, casual riders, trekking or touring riders, fixie riders. Pretty much anyone who enjoys riding with casual shoes but like to improve their pedal efficiency.
In order to help you pick the right toe clips for your riding needs, we curated this list of the top 7 Toe clips on the market. So without further ado let’s take a look at the list!
Best Toe Clips For Road Bikes: Our Top Picks
- Retrospec Bicycles Classic Road Bike Pedal with Integrated Toe Clips
- Diamondback Pedals with Toe Clips and Straps
- Delta Cycle Bike Strapless Toe Clips
- Origin8 Double Steel Toe Clips
- YBEKI Bike Pedals with Clips and Straps
- AbraFit Pedals with Toe Clips and Straps
- Tbest Basket Pedals & Toe Clips
Best Toe Clips For Road Bikes
First up is the retrospec road pedals with toe clips, it features a 9/16″ axle road bike pedal integrated with durable nylon toe clips for added durability. The toe clips & straps do a good keeping your feet in place while riding, they can also be completely removed if needed. These pedals are also compatible with cleats if you ever decide to switch up your riding style.
- 9/16″ axle road bike pedal
- Durable nylon toe clip and straps
- Compatible with Cleats
- 7mm High-Grade Boron Steel Axle
- 140x91mm and 302 grams including cage and straps
Next up is the diamondback pedals with toe clips & straps, one thing we love about these toe clips is that the toe clips collapse when stepped on which help in road conditions when trying to fit your shoe into the pedals. The pedals come with reflectors, for greater visibility at night. The pedals also feature anti-slip teeth grips for greater hold & reducing any risk of slipping.
- Resin and alloy construction
- Pre-installed toe clips and straps
- 9/16″ Chromalloy spindle
- Anti-slip pedals
The Delta cycle toe clips are strapless, most riders prefer strapless toe clips since they allow you to disengage rapidly when required, while still providing you with the pedal efficiency needed. These toe clips will pair perfectly with some non-slip pedals for added grip.
- crafted from unbreakable nylon
- Non-slip design
- Strapless toe clips help disengage quicker
- Enhances pedal efficiency
Next, we have the origin8 toe clips, they’re are designed to be used with double toe straps for additional hold. Each weighs around 100 grams, designed from steel for added durability. These toe clips are quite large, coming in at 70mm in depth.
- Durable steel construction
- Large toe clips (70mm depth)
- , four-gate design for use with double toe straps
- Slotted bolt holes allow for adjustability
- 100 gram per pair
The YBEKI pedals are crafted from resin & alloy for added durability, these pedals are suitable for all 916 spindle bikes, the pedal dimensions are 9.5 cm long & 6.4 cm wide, whereas the toe clips are 13 cm long. The toe clips & straps are crafted from a durable nylon material & helps keep secure your feet for added pedal efficiency.
- resin and alloy Construction
- suitable for all 9/16 spindle bikes
- Toe clips & straps crafted from a durable nylon material
Next, we have the Abrafit bicycle pedals with toe clips, the resin set of these pedals weigh around 450 grams, while the alloy set weighs in at 625 grams. The toe cages are about 3 inches long, which is perfect enough to secure your feet on the pedals, while still being able to disengage when needed.
- Pre-installed toe clips
- Anti-slip pedals
- durable nylon material toe clip & straps
- 2 material options to choose from resin or alloy
The Tbest pedals & toe clips are crafted from a durable nylon material, the peals are quite lightweight & are equipped with reflectors allowing you to be visible at night. The toe clips & straps help keep your feet secure helping you improve pedals efficiency by pulling in the upstroke. One thing to note is these toe clips come slightly smaller, so if you have wider feet these are probably not the best choice for you.
- crafted from a durable nylon material
- lightweight pedals
- easily adjustable
- quick installation process can be done within a minute
Buyers Guide: How To Find The Right Toe Clips For You
Type Of Toe Clip Pedals
First, we will be discussing toe clip pedals these are pedals that come with toe clips pre-installed rather than just plain toe clips.
The first thing you need to decide is what type of toe clip pedals you need, there are various toe clip pedals in the market each appeasing to different rider’s wants & needs. Let’s take a look at the different types of toe clip pedals in order to decide which one is best for you.
- Basic toe clip pedal: These are simply platform pedals with toe clips nothing special here, some pedals come with anti-slip grips while others don’t.
- hybrid toe clip pedal: These types of pedals feature a toe clip & straps on one side & clipless on the other side, providing the rider with both options.
- Cleat plus toe clip pedal: These types of pedals are similar to hybrid pedals although both the toe clip and clipless are on one side of the pedal.
Some toe clips come slightly wider whereas others come more narrow, this completely depends on your feet size & personal preference. Some riders feel more comfortable with a more narrow toe clip while others prefer slightly wider toe clips. The main thing to note is you don’t want it to be too wide where your foot is wobbling all over the place, you also don’t want it too tight & narrow there you won’t be able to disengage quick enough.
Straps Or Strapless
Some toe clips come with straps while others are strapless, again this comes down to personal preference. There are Pros & Cons to both methods, strapless allows you to disengage more comfortably although it isn’t as secure as toe clips with straps. If you prefer to go strapless then combine it with anti-slip pedals to minimize risks of slips.
So there you have it our top 7 picks of the best road bike toe clips on the market. Although toe clips aren’t as popular as they once were there’s definitely still a place for them whether you are a commuter and are looking for added pedal efficiency or want to add some style to your fixie nonetheless toe clips are here to stay. Also if you’re considering toe clips but are concern whether or not you could disengage quick enough when needed, then you can opt for strapless toe clips with anti-slip pedals for greater hold, this allows you to disengage quick enough since there are no straps but reduce the risk of slipping thanks to the pedals.
Toe clips are also a great option for the casual rider providing some performance benefits without having to go all out with cycling shoes, instead, you can just pop on some casual shoes and go for a ride while still maintaining pedal efficiency and power.