High temperatures in hot weather can make cycling challenging. But for all serious cyclists, the show must always go on regardless of the outdoor environment. Having cycling shoes designed to cater to a warm environment means that you can still enjoy cycling with your feet feeling cool and fresh.
Manufacturers are always coming with new upgrades using the latest technology. While there is a competitively large range of cycling shoes, there are those that are highly efficient for use in hot weather.
In this article review, we look at the best cycling shoes for hot weather in addition to a buyer’s guide.
Best Cycling Shoes For Hot Weather:
It’s one of the latest shoe releases that have been designed to handle warm environments. Sidi Sixty, a celebratory pair of footwear, was released on the brand’s 60th birthday. So, its design is unique and quite special to Sidi.
According to them, these are the lightest shoes they have ever put on the market. Each pair weighs only 258g. They are handcrafted in Italy to ensure that every part appears cleaner as well as less technical, just like most high-end cycling shoe models.
Its upper is made with a TechPro Microfiber. The eco-friendly leatherette is hydrophobic, hence it helps to repel moisture content from the shoes. Besides that, it also has an anti-mold treatment to prevent the chances of bacterial infections. For sufficient airflow, each pair of shoes comes with perforations to the microfiber and a vent carbon sole.
The incredibly lightweight shoes feel supple on the feet yet very supportive. If you wear it, you will feel like it firmly hugs your feet and provides firm support during cycling. For a secure fit and quick release, Sidi Sixty has a Tecno-4 closure system in addition to a Velcro strap for accurate micro-adjustments.
Most cycling shoes wear out quickly due to frequent use. However, Sidi Sixty can stand the test of time and pressure. First, its heel cups are anatomically shaped, so, they will take the shape of your feet. The durability is reinforced at the back of the shoes and the distribution of the pressure, to stabilize the feet and protect them from slipping while minimizing the possibilities of deformation.
Sixty’s vent carbon is stiff. This is great in ensuring that all the energy watts you pump in are transferred to
the pedals. So, you can ride throughout summer and all year round thanks to the versatile features of these shoes. Its integrated vents can be easily opened and closed with a screwdriver to cater to different temperature ranges.
- TechPro microfiber upper: it’s made with perforations for better ventilation.
- Integrated vents: they can be opened and closed easily with a screwdriver depending on temperature
- A stiff vent carbon sole: this allows for a direct transmission of energy to the pedals
- Tecno-4 closure system plus Velcro strap: they provide a quick release and better accuracy when it comes to micro-adjustments.
- Polyurethane heel pad: its grip is strong enough for lasting support and it can be replaced.
- Breathable and lightweight
- The shoes’ reflex insert provides a high level of safety
- The insoles can feel terribly hard
The Giro Emire E70 Knit comes in both a women’s version & a men version. Giro Empire cycling shoes have been knitted with the latest technology to ensure that you enjoy cycling during the hot summer period.
The Xnetic Knit Technology developed by Giro helps to meet the specific needs of the cyclist. There is an internal TPU that effectively provides skeletal support whenever necessary. Besides that, the knit offers superior comfort and a high level of breathability. This is facilitated by the sock-like feature that also offers comfort.
To minimize the chances of sweating, the cycling shoes have a DWR-treated upper. It efficiently repels water and makes the process of cleaning the dirt easier. Giro understands how fitting important when it comes to cycling shoes. As a result, they have made these wearables with customizable support. In addition to that, they are also compatible with 3-bolt cleats.
Breathable and lightweight
The shoes’ reflex insert provides a high level of safety
With its super-natural footbed, you can customize the fit to meet the specific needs of your feet. Besides that, there is adjustable arch support that improves the pedaling performance as well as the general comfort of the cyclist.
The women’s shoes are designed with a lower volume when you compare to the standard performance cycling shoes. They come with a narrower width for the forefeet and heel cup, a feature that matches the need of most women.
- Premium performance: these breathable shoes are the benchmark for high-level cycling performance. They come with outstanding knit technology as well as a stylish appearance.
- High level of breathability: the Xnetic knit upper layer provides breathability by circulating air in and out of the shoes. There is also a laced closure for enhanced airflow as well as better comfort.
- Powerful pedaling: they pair is made with an EC70 Easton carbon composite for its outsole. This provides an excellent power transfer. Additionally, the stainless-steel hardware alongside the heel pads provides long-lasting use.
- Customized fit: the empire laces offer the best fit adjustment while the closure system is light enough to facilitate better air circulation. Each footbed comes with adjustable arch support for a great pedaling performance.
- Breathable cycling shoes with great air circulation
- Provides a comfortable and customizable fit
- It’s durable and suitable for lasting use
- Not suitable for those with wide feet because it has a narrower width.
If you enjoy cycling and need something effective to keep the hot summer heat off your feet, then Rapha Pro Team is a good choice. According to the manufacturer, this show design has been uniquely marked to provide the wearer with lasting and enjoyable sessions.
Breathable cycling shoes with great air circulation Provides a comfortable and customizable fit
It’s durable and suitable for lasting use
The pair of shoes is crafted with the latest upgrades, offering a better level of comfort. These pro shoes combine three types of elite technologies to give the cyclist a better edge, especially during intense rides. For breathability, the upper section is made with one piece of seamless woven fabric. It is an outstanding power- weave that uses woven 3D-technology for excellent airflow, in and out of the shoes.
It should be noted that the technology also provides better comfort. This is because the woven fabric offers a frictionless fit while maintaining a lightweight nature. For an even greater experience, the shoes’ fabric has a hydrophobic treatment. So, it repels moisture content that may accumulate while cycling in hot weather. That in combination with the molded heel-cup firmly hugs the feet, ensuring that your feet comfortably stay in place as you move across different terrains.
At the base of the shoes is a lightweight carbon sole covering the full-length. Rapha has engineered it to make sure that it’s stiff on the feet but yet still provides optimal power transfer to the pedals. For durability, they come with rubberized toe caps and heel that can withstand frequent and intense friction.
- Extremely breathable upper section: it’s made with the 3-Dimension woven technology for sufficient airflow. The power-weave provides optimal support and facilitates better breathability of the shoes.
- Comfortable and frictionless fit: the lightweight fabric provides firm support and comfort during all the cycling sessions.
- Hydrophobic fiber treatment: it effectively repels moisture content and helps to thermo-regulate the interior environmental conditions found in the shoes.
- Boa system for a precise fit: the pair of shoes incorporate lightweight laces, a low-friction type of lace system, and micro-adjustable dials for a customizable fit.
- Padded tongue: this helps to redistribute the pressure from the shoelaces, especially across the top area, thereby eliminating any pinch points
- Full-length carbon sole: provides an all-round stiffness and guarantees efficient power transfer to the bike’s pedals.
- It provides sufficient airflow to the feed and repels excess moisture content
- It’s comfortable and firmly fits
- Its dials provide an efficient quick-release feature for easier removal of the shoes
- The pair is lightweight
- The carbon sole can feel so stiff
The highly responsive shoes are lightweight in nature. They offer excellent performance, especially in hot weather. The Empire SLX Shoes are made with the latest and premium fabric design to facilitate adequate airflow in and out of the shoes. The upper is made from a One-piece Synchwire for enhanced breathability.
Taking note of the lacing system, Giro has come up with a customizable closure that provides a better fit. There are a total of 7-points of contacts that firmly hold every instep.
The carbon outsole is lightweight & strong enough to offer lasting durability. We love the fact that you can easily customize the insole to cater to your specific needs. This is because the adjustable arch can be removed and replaced with the right one.
- Synchwire upper area: the one-piece Synchwire material is breathable enough to allow for sufficient airflow. It’s also resistant to moisture.
- Lace closure system: accurate and customizable lace system with 7 contain points. This helps to provide firmness in the instep as well as a high level of fitness.
- Customizable insole: the adjustable insole can be arched for better support or completely replaced. There is also an X-static fiber in the insole that prevents heat buildup and helps to eliminate the chances of bacterial infections or bad odor.
- Carbon fiber outsole: the Easton EC90 fiber outsole is lightweight and strong in nature for better support and durability. It efficiently transfers every single energy watt to the pedals.
- Highly flexible: it suitable for the 3-bolt cleat systems.
- The shoes are highly breathable and don’t accumulate moisture content
- Highly versatile and suitable for use with the 3-bolt cleat systems
- Lightweight and durable
- Provides a customizable fit when needed
- The lacing system doesn’t allow for an easier adjustment process
- These shoes are quite expensive
The S-Phyre is a perennial cycling shoe favorite and that’s why it still ranks among the best cycling shoes for hot weather. The cycling shoes offer premium performance without compromising comfort and quality. It has a seamless one-piece upper that’s highly breathable. So, this makes it suitable for warm weather.
The one-piece microfiber upper made with synthetic leather is durable and also water-resistant. It offers an incredible level of comfort. Not only wraps around the feet snuggly, but it also helps to reduce the retention of fiber. It should be noted that S-Phyre has micro-vent perforations that enhance sufficient airflow. So, your needs for hot training or racing are well provided for.
Its cleat guidance is superb. They make the shoes compatible with various bike pedaling systems that yes 3- bolt standard. On the other hand, the carbon sole delivers efficient energy transmission as well as enhanced durability.
- Built-in drainage holes: for drainage in rainy conditions
- Micro-vent perforations and one-piece microfiber leather upper: they help to reduce water retention and facilitate better airflow.
- Curved heel cup and a low-stack height: it minimizes roll back and twisting effects giving you an ideal opportunity to pedal safely.
- The shoes are suitable for all types of weather
- It provides a secure fit thanks to its highly adjustable features
- It has a durable construction
- The inner sole can feel so stiff
The Best Cycling Shoes for Hot Weather: Buyer’s Guide
You can ride a bicycle with any type of shoes. However, you can only enjoy these sessions and attain optimal performance if you have the right shoes on. So, what are some of the factors that you need to consider before buying cycling shoes for hot weather?
In this kind of weather, breathability should be a top consideration. While there is a broad range of ventilation levels, you need to choose lightweight shoes with a high level of ventilation. The shoes need to have mesh or breathable uppers in addition to vent holes located in the soles. This design helps to provide efficient air circulation and a high level of comfort, especially in the hot summer months.
The Closure System
It determines how loose or tight you can close the shoes. There are different closure systems to handle various cycling needs. This includes ratchet buckles, Boa Dials, Laces, and Velcro strap among others. But what are the most ideal systems for hot weather?
- Laces: although this seems to be an old closure system, it’s the most ideal in this case. Laces are lightweight and can be easily loosened to increase airflow in warm weather conditions. In addition to that, they can be replaced easily. Meanwhile, laces can easily get crumpled and become entangled if you are not careful.
- Velcro straps: this is another ideal closure system that has been around for quite long. Velcro straps appeal to most cyclists because they are durable and lightweight. Although they don’t offer a high level of precision, they allow for better breathability.
- Boa Dials: they are mainly used with the latest cycling shoe models due to their high level of precision. Every time that you dial, the shoes’ wires end up getting tight or lose by 1mm. The dials come in multiple variations to cater to different user preferences.
The Sole Material
A cyclist can only get high performance if the sole is durable and provides the right support. The best sole material for cycling shoes is the carbon sole. Although it’s lightweight, it’s also stiff and durable. The carbon material offers a high level of durability, hence these shoes can efficiently withstand pressure and lasting use.
Fitness and Comfort
You are definitely not going to cycle for 12 hours. However, you are going to cycle constantly hence a good fit as well as comfort is necessary. You need a pair of cycling shoes that you can comfortably use for long and short cycling sessions, regardless of the intensity.
Choose a pair of shoes that provide a snuggly and firm fit. It should be able to offer a customized fit, based on the width and shape of your feet.
The Bottom Line
There are so many cycling shoes that are ideal for hot weather. However, the above-mentioned footwear are the best for use. They are highly breathable, comfortable, and provide a firm and secure fit. They come in different designs based on different brands. However, they all ensure that cyclists can comfortably enjoy their sessions without the worry of accumulating heat or sweat under their feet.