When it comes to riding your bike a common struggle for most people is climbing hills. Having a bike optimized for climbing can make all the difference in the world. Ideally, when climbing you want a bike that is lightweight & aerodynamic. Reduced weight & drag will allow you to climb more efficiently while saving more energy. Now let’s take a look at our pick of the top 7 best bikes for climbing hills.
Best Bikes For Climbing Hills: Top 7 Reviews
- Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace Di2
- Canyon Ultimate CF EVO Disc 10.0 LTD
- BMC Teammachine SLR 01 Two
- Factor O2 VAM Disc
- Focus Izalco Max 9.7 AXS
- Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro
- Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2 Disc
Best Bikes For Hills:
First up is the Cannondale super six Evo Hi-mod, this bike is designed with performance in mind, it provides the ideal combination of aerodynamics & low weight. It features a low-drag BallisTec carbon frameset which is designed with highly truncated airfoil tube shapes which significantly reduces drag by up to 30%. It also features Cannondale HollowGram 45 carbon wheelset which maintains aerodynamic efficiency even with larger tires.
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 11-speed groupset
- Shimano Dura-Ace hydraulic brakes
- Cannondale HollowGram 45 carbon wheelset
- Cannondale HollowGram SiSL2 crankset with pre-installed power2max NG Eco Power Meter
The canyon ultimate CF Evo features an ultra-light premium grade carbon frame, with a weight of 13 lbs (6 kgs) making it an extremely lightweight bike with no compromise to performance.
It features a Srams red axis innovative groupset design which provides wireless 12-speed shifting, you wouldn’t need to worry about setting up or maintaining and wires or cables.
It’s also equipped with DT Swiss ultra-light disc carbon clincher wheelset, weighing at around 1255g, With refined 24 mm rims and carbon hubs with ceramic bearings, this is as good as it gets.
- DT Swiss PRC 1100 DICUT 12×142 wheelset
- SRAM’s RED eTap AXS 12 speed groupset
- SRAM RED eTap AXS disc brakes
- Premium grade carbon frame
- SRAM RED XG-1290 10-28 12s cassette
Next up is the Bmc Teammachine SLR 01 two, this bike weighs around 15 lbs (7.06 kgs) not the lightest bike on the list but & that’s done intentionally to provide more of a balance of weight and stability. it’s equipped with an 11-30t cassette, combined with a semi-compact 52/36t chainset which provides a great range for steep slopes & speed.
- Utilizes ACE+ accelerated Composites Evolution Technologie
- Integrated carbon cockpit system
- SRAM RED XG-1290, 11-30T cassette
- SRAM RED 12 speed chain
The Factor O3 Vam features a premium-grade carbon fiber frame weighing at around 677g, the bike utilizes O2 VAM technology in order to keep the bike lightweight yet fairly stiff.
Ultra high-pressure molds allow the removal of excessive resin from the base material, allowing for a stronger, lighter, and more efficient bike. Additionally, the O2 Vam technology incorporates boron within the seat-tube. This provides the ideal combination of weight reduction and stability & strength.
It features a Black Inc TWENTY wheelset which is crafted using a blend of ultra-high-strength carbon fiber with reinforced rim walls.
- Lightweight Seatpost Clamp
- Direct Mount Rear Derailleur Hanger
- Split Spacers
Another bike known for its lightweight components is the Focus Izalco Max 9.7, the bike frame weighs in at 890 grams with the aero fork weighing in at 360 grams. This bike has gone through rigorous testing through wind tunnels in order to achieve the best possible results. In order to keep this bike as aerodynamic as possible, all the cables run inside the specially developed C.I.S. aero stem. This allows for effective functionality while optimizing aerodynamics and allowing for a tidier cockpit.
- Super lightweight max aero carbon frame
- SRAM Force EtAP AXS 12- Speed Drive
- Wireless electronic shifting
- DT Swiss ARC1450 Dicut Carbon Wheelset
The Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro is another incredible bike that offers premium features that maximizes efficiency & performance. It’s crafted with an aerodynamic lightweight 500 Series OCLV Carbon frame and fork, perfect for riding on hills and drastically reducing drag. t also features a Bontrager Aeolus Elite 35 carbon wheelset for enhanced performance, as well as a full Shimano Ultegra 11-speed drivetrain, as well as a powerful Ultegra flat-mount disc brakes for greater stopping power. Overall a great lightweight bike with quality features that are optimized for climbs.
- Aerodynamic tube shaping
- 500 Series OCLV Carbon frame and fork
- Bontrager Aeolus Elite 35 carbon wheels
- Shimano Ultegra 11-speed drivetrain
- Ultegra flat-mount disc brakes
The Giant TCR Advanced Pro has to be on our list for one of the best bikes for climbing, especially thanks tot heir innovative design allowing for greater aerodynamic efficiency. Starting with their frameset which is optimized to significantly lower drag at a wider range of yaw angles, while remaining stiff for greater performance.
It’s also equipped with disc brakes for greater stopping power as well as modulation for greater control in harsh weather conditions. The frame and fork clearance allows for larger diameter tires up to 32mm.
- Advanced Composite Technology allows for greater stiffness while keeping weight down
- added frame and fork clearance allows for larger diameter tires up to 32mm
- Shimano 105, 11×30 Cassette
- Giant SLR-1 42 Carbon Disc WheelSystem
Buyers Guide: How To Find The Best Bike For Climbing Hills
When looking for a bike specifically for climbing hills there are a few features you should prioritize over others, & a few things you should be aware of that will help you pick the right bike for you.
The best frame for climbing has to be a premium grade carbon fiber frame, the reason being is stiffness to weight ratio. A premium carbon fiber frame can get drastically reduce the overall weight of the bike while maintaining stiffness for performance & stability. Although premium grade carbon fiber frames are quite pricey, although there are decent climbing bikes in the market made of aluminum material which can be quite effective if you’re in a budget.
When it comes to finding the perfect bike for climbing hills a combination of a lightweight bike and aerodynamics is a perfect choice. The issue is most aerodynamic bikes generally weigh more. But nowadays most high-end bikes incorporate innovative technology in order to keep weight down while maintaining aerodynamic benefits, but this comes with a heftier price tag.
Brakes is a tricky one when looking for a good climbing bike, because as we mentioned above ideally you want a lightweight bike, & the best brakes in terms of stopping power are disc brakes however they do weigh more than rim brakes. Rim brakes weigh much less but don’t offer the same benefits as disc brakes. So if all you care about is speed then you can opt for rim brakes since they weigh much less, but we still believe the benefits of disc brakes are too good to pass up and are worth the added weight.
Tips To Cycling Uphill More Efficiently
- Pace your self & avoid tiring yourself out too early especially at the start of a climb. Avoid getting lost in the “Go all out” at the start trap & this will drastically increase your overall time.
- Maintain a steady cadence, this depends on your skill & fitness level so you shouldn’t try to ride at a specific cadence & rather what best suits your fitness level.
- Sit down for the majority of the ride since it doesn’t take much out of your legs, & stand up during steep hills for additional power.
- Anticipate steep sections in advance by getting into lower gear before.
- Maintain proper form, keeping a flat back with bent elbows.
So there you have it, our top 7 best picks for climbing hills. Climbing bikes should have the perfect combination of lightweight & aerodynamics to get the best of both worlds. This combination is typically only found on higher-end bikes though unfortunately, & if you’re looking for a bike on. a budget then you may have to prioritize one over the other. As most Aero bikes add additional weight to the bike. High-end bikes however use innovative designs and technology in order to maintain the perfect balance of weight & aerodynamics.