Nowadays it seems like anywhere you look you will spot someone riding on a Trek bike, Trek is the largest bike brands based in the USA with a market share of around 22%, they offer a wide range of bikes at different price points.
However, the question remains are Trek bikes actually good?
Yes, what makes Trek bikes good is simply innovation, Trek holds several patents for their innovative high-performance technology & designs. Such as Isospeed, OCLV carbon, Alpha aluminum, & RE:active. Each provides high-performance capabilities that can’t be replicated.
Trek challenges the ordinary approach of creating bikes, & as a result, have created innovative designs & features that have revolutionized the cycling industry & have resulted in world-class bikes.
What Makes Trek Bikes Good?
What set’s Trek apart from most companies is innovation, Trek has revolutionized the cycling industry thanks to their patented high-performance designs & technology.
In 1992 Trek was the first bike company to release a full carbon fiber road bike entitled The OCLV 550, this went on to be the world’s lightest production bikes weighing in at around 2.44 lbs (1.11kg). Ever since then Trek have been challenging the “normal” approach of producing bikes & incorporated many innovative patent-protected features to their bikes which has changed the cycling industry for the better
Trek holds several patents for their technology & designs, which means their bikes can’t be replicated. This makes their innovative features such as Isospeed exclusive only to Trek bikes.
here are a few innovative features that can only be found in Trek bikes:
- Isospeed: In 2012 Trek Announced their innovative Isospeed design in their Domane bike, Isospeed as created to solve the stiffness vs. compliance tradeoff. It allows the bike to maintain a diamond-shaped frameset geometry while decoupling the seat tube from the top tube, this allows the seat tube to flex with the forces of the road. As a result, this diminishes the fatiguing impacts of the road, this provides greater efficiency allowing the rider to stay fresh for longer.
- OCLV carbon: OCLV Carbon is simply Trek’s patented carbon fiber process, this process reduces the overall weight of the bike while maintaining the strength and stiffness thus offering great performance for riders.
- Alpha aluminum: Trek creates many different bikes with different materials & at different price points to appeal to many riders. However just because the bike uses a less expensive material doesn’t mean it shouldn’t perform to the likes of top quality bikes. This is why Trek created alpha aluminum, which is their innovative aluminum design that is designed to be lightweight, durable & provide high-performance rides.
- Trekactivebraking pivot: Trek is known for its well-designed mountain bikes, one feature that truly stands out against the competition is their innovative Active Braking Pivot. Trek ABP simply keeps your suspension active while braking, this allows for increased traction, less skidding & great control.
- RE:active: Re:active is Treks solution to a supple & fluid suspension, this provides a high degree of hold for stability when pedaling & adapts to impact, this allows that your rear shock will provide an immediate, supple response to impact.
Bikes For Evreyone
What makes Trek bikes a popular option for most riders is that Trek makes bikes for everyone. Trek designs bikes for kids, beginners, professionals, different riding disciplines, as well as for riders looking for an affordable option.
This allows all riders to benefit from Trek’s patented innovative designs & technology, whether you are a beginner looking for an affordable bike or a pro looking for a high-performance bike, you can benefit from what Trek has to offer.
As we mentioned above Trek’s biggest strength is innovation, so when it comes to affordable bikes, Trek crafts their bikes with alpha aluminum their patented design process which focuses on achieving an overall lightweight bike while maintaining durability & performance. This allows bikes to be more affordable but still perform at a high level.
Research & Development
There are 2 prime methods of testing the performance of a new bike, the first is by testing in a lab, this approach provides you with quick feedback but the issue is it’s not quite the same as the real world. The second approach is to test the bike in the outdoors, the issue with this approach is that it takes a long time to get consistent data due to condition variability.
Trek takes a different & unique approach when it comes to testing out new innovations. To allow them to rapidly test out features, Trek has built their own custom treadmill, this allows them to find out what works & what doesn’t at a faster pace.
This process allows Trek to stay ahead of the competition & continue to utilize their strength of innovation, & more importantly create quality bikes at a faster pace.
Popular Trek Bikes:
The Domane SLR 7 is one of Trek’s popular endurance style bikes, it features Trek’s lightest 700 series OCLV carbon frame & fork equipped with a front & adjustable rear Isospeed & fender mounts. It features a Shimano 2×11 Ultegra Di2 electronic drivetrain, equipped with flat-mount disc brakes for reliable stopping power. Additionally, it features a Bontrager Pro IsoCore handlebar which reduces vibrations when riding by 20%.
The Domane SLR 7 is equipped with Aeolus Pro 3V Disc Tubeless Ready carbon wheels, which features 25mm internal rim width mounted on a wide & supple 32mm tires for a smoother ride.
Trek Fx – Great for Commuting, recreational riding
Trek’s Fx line features hybrid bikes designed for commuting, fitness & recreational riding, offering the perfect balance of transportation & riding for fun.
The fx series come with bikes in different versions offering riders more options whether you are on the look out for a more affordable option or a bike with more features. the Fx series bikes range from $469.99 all the way up to $999.99. These bikes are designed with Trek’s lightweight alpha aluminum technology, equipped with disc brakes for reliable stopping.
Émonda ALR 5 – Budget Racer
The Emonda ALR is a great road racing bike designed for riders looking for a superior bike lightweight high-performance bike at a lower price point.
Designed with Tek’s Alpha aluminum technology this aluminum bike rivals most competitor’s carbon frame bike when it comes to lightness & performance. Equipped with a Shimano 105 drivetrain, & powerful hydraulic disc brakes, the bike offers great performance & is ideal for club rubes & racing.
Trek Supercaliber – XC race bike
The Supercaliber is a cross country bike designed for all courses, it offers cutting-edge suspension technology, as well as race-ready components allowing you to be well equipped for any cross country race.
It features an ultra-lightweight OCLV Mountain Carbon frame with 60mm of travel, equipped with Trek’s exclusive lightweight IsoStrut FOX Performance shock crafted specifically for Supercaliber. Additionally, it features SRAM NX Eagle 1×12 drivetrain and Bontrager carbon wheels.
Trek 820 – Great Beginner Mountain Bike
If you’re looking for an affordable beginner mountain bike the Trek 820 is the best option for you, it’s treks most affordable mountain bike option & is the perfect choice for beginners.
The 820 is designed with a steel frame equipped with a suspension fork that allows you to comfortably rides over bumps & rough terrain. Additionally, it features a 21-speed Shimano drivetrain, semi-slick tires that roll well on the trails as well as on the pavement.
What sets Trek apart from the competition is innovation, Trek’s innovative features allow for quality bikes even when it comes to budget bikes. Trek’s patented Alpha aluminum frame design keeps bikes at lightweight while maintaining high performance & even rivaling most competitor’s carbon fiber bikes. This level of innovation is what allowed Trek to flourish in the cycling industry & continue to remain the market leader simply by creating high-quality great bikes. So there it is, we hope you enjoyed this article & happy riding!